...a little preparation for tomorrow's quiz (after you take the quiz, you may refer back to this study guide and the text to check your answers):
SOME FACTS ABOUT BEETHOVEN
1. The composer's full name was Ludwig van Beethoven.
2. He was born at Bonn on the River Rhine. (Look for Bonn on the map.)
3. His birthday is December 16, and his birth year was 1770.
4. The Beethoven House is now a Museum.
5. Beethoven's father was a singer.
6. Ludwig began to study music at the age of four.
7. He was shy and quiet in school, always thinking even then of music.
8. Even as a little boy he composed music.
9. When he was ten years old his first published composition appeared.
10. A teacher who helped him very much was Christian Gottlob Neefe.
11. Beethoven learned to play several instruments.
12. He went to Vienna when he was sixteen, met Mozart and had lessons from him.
13. Later, Beethoven met Haydn at Bonn.
14. On Haydn's advice he returned to Vienna, making it his home for the rest of his life.
15. Carl Czerny once called on Beethoven and wrote a fine description of him.
16. At about thirty Beethoven became deaf.
17. Most of the great symphonies were composed after he lost his hearing.
18. Beethoven died March 26, 1827, at the age of 57.